Sunday, January 29, 2012

Healthy Sundae: Pumpkin Power Smoothie

I’ve been clean eating for a solid week now and I’ve never felt better. I have more energy and motivation.  My skin is starting to clear up and is less dry. My stomach feels a million times better and I don’t have the crazy food cravings that I was having (I’m sure from the diet sodas I drank). 

Pretty much every morning I start my day with a smoothie.  Now my version of a smoothie is super thick.  I like to eat it with a spoon and not drink it.  I find it way more satisfying.  I also sometimes do one in the evening as a dessert if I want something to snack on after dinner.  I really love the combo of pumpkin and banana together, it makes a thick and creamy texture just like soft serve.  I’m trying to limit my sugar so I probably wouldn’t have this everyday, because bananas are a little on the high side sugar wise.  You could omit the banana though and I bet it would still be good, or just use half a banana.  This recipe is vegan, dairy free, free from refined sugars and full of vitamins and protein.

IMG_6400
( I place my pumpkin in a ziploc bag and press the air out.  Then I smooth it into a thin layer and freeze.  It’s easy to break into little pieces for my smoothie like this.  You could also freeze it in a ice cube tray.)

*I use a wide mouth mason jar to make my smoothies in.  It just screws right on to the base of a blender in place of the pitcher and makes for less clean up since I eat it right out of the jar.

IMG_6402

IMG_6404

Pumpkin Power Smoothie
1/2 can pumpkin puree (not pie filling, just the pumpkin) frozen
1 banana frozen
1 c. So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1 scoop Amazing Grass chocolate flavored
1 scoop protein powder- I use Chocolite
1 big handful baby spinach, stems removed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves

IMG_6406

Place your ingredients in the jar and blend for a few minutes until everything in pureed and smooth.  Enjoy your power packed smoothie!